Birthdays with food allergies
Shaun’s 1st Birthday
- UNO Party!
- 12 Food Allergies at the time
- So many foods that we had not tried yet (barely on solid food)
- Shaun’s first cake was actually a waffle 🙂
- Creative improvisation is key!
Shaun’s 2nd Birthday
- Pumpkin painting
- All Shaun-safe food
- Uncle Tommy’s gift for Shaun (Train)
- Cornflake-Crumb chicken, veggies & quinoa
Shaun’s 3rd Birthday
- 3 & 30 (shared party with John)
- Baked Potato Bar!!
- Everyone (including other non-allergy restrictions people) can pick toppings that are safe
- Still made as much as possible Shaun-Safe
- Remove all the food that Shaun would eat, prior to anyone else getting theirs (limits cross-contamination)
Shaun’s 4th Birthday
- Play Set!
- No meal, just snacks = All Shaun Safe
- Build Day for the boys
- Sleepover at Aunt Carol’s for Shaun
Shaun’s 5th Birthday
- Shaun got to make Shaun-Safe cookies to bring to school
- Dee’s Bakery – Cupcakes on 1st Friday Dinner
- Shaun requested Brinner! (just like Dad 🙂
- Test out your cake prior to the party (especially the first year/birthday party)
- Simplify as much as possible
- All Safe foods, no food at all, dessert/snacks only, etc.
- Make your family your allies!
- Supportive and understanding
- They can help with prepping food in YOUR space (where you know it’s safer)
- Non-food ways for them to help with a party
Unfortunately, Shaun has not been feeling well, so we did not record with him for this episode, we hope to have him healthy for the next one!
A couple of anecdotal stories about some interactions that we’ve had with people recently.
AoA Info & Support Links
If you enjoy our content and would like to support us, you can do so below:
You can also check out our social media outlets:
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure for more info.